Do Your Children Qualify for SSI Benefits in Oregon?

By December 10, 2021 No Comments

Disabled children can be in an especially precarious circumstance when qualifying for SSI. In short, those under age 18 can collect SSI if they meet the SSA’s definition of disability and the household that they reside in has limited income and assets.

The SSA states that:

“The child must have a physical or mental condition(s) that very seriously limits his or her activities; and the condition(s) must have lasted, or be expected to last, at least 1 year or result in death.”

A state agency (in Oregon’s case, the Disability Determination Services, which works closely with the SSA) makes the determination and may request additional tests to confirm approval. These tests can be wide-ranging and serve to prove the child’s disability.

Ways Oregon Children Can Collect SSI

Disabled children under 18 in Oregon, who reside with a family that has limited income and assets, may be able to collect SSI until age 18. If their disability persists into adulthood, they may be able to receive adult benefits.

Also, if a child is 18 or older, and becomes disabled before age 22, they may be able to receive Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) if either of their parents are disabled, retired, or deceased.

An adult who becomes disabled after age 22 must meet specific income and disability requirements to qualify for SSI. If the adult has some working history where they have paid into the Social Security system, they may be eligible for SSDI based on the number of work credits they’ve accrued.

How Long Does an SSI Children’s Decision Take?

The SSA will usually send a formal denial or approval letter 3-5 months following the initial application process. Benefits can be backdated to the initial application date, but specific rules apply.


SSI is an incredibly confusing process for children. Denials are much more common than acceptance, and it’s easy to see where the value of a trusted Social Security claims attorney comes in. Application approval may require a formal appeal (potentially up to three separate times) and certainly requires a professional to help guide you through the dispute process. Call Drew L. Johnson, P.C. today at (541) 434-6466 to schedule a free consultation.