Can I Return to Work in Oregon While Getting Social Security Disability Benefits?

By March 14, 2023 No Comments

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is a federal program that provides financial assistance to individuals who have a medical or mental condition that prevents them from working. The program is designed to help individuals who are unable to earn a living due to a disability. If you are receiving SSDI benefits in Oregon, you may be wondering if you can return to work without losing your benefits. In this article, we will explore the rules and regulations surrounding returning to work while receiving SSDI benefits in Oregon.

The Ticket to Work Program

The Social Security Administration (SSA) offers the Ticket to Work program, which is designed to help SSDI and SSI recipients return to work. This program provides resources and support to help you find a job and transition back to work. If you participate in the Ticket to Work program, you can earn an income without losing your SSDI benefits.

The Ticket to Work program is available to all SSDI and SSI recipients who are between the ages of 18 and 64. If you are interested in participating in the program, you can contact an Employment Network (EN) or a State Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) agency in Oregon. These organizations will provide you with the resources and support you need to return to work.

The Trial Work Period

If you are interested in returning to work but are unsure if you can handle a full-time job, you may be eligible for a trial work period. The trial work period allows SSDI recipients to test their ability to work for a period of nine months. During this period, you can earn any income without losing your SSDI benefits.

To qualify for a trial work period, you must be an SSDI recipient, and you must be working in a job that pays more than $1,050 gross per month. The nine-month period does not have to be consecutive, and you can work as much or as little as you like during this time. If you successfully complete the trial work period, you may be eligible for an extended period of eligibility for 36 months following the end of the trial work period

During the 36 month period you will lose benefits for the following month if your income exceeds $1,470. You can again receive benefits, however, if your income drops below $1,470. if your income exceeds $1,470 at any time after the extended period, your benefits will end.

Reporting Your Earnings

If you participate in the Ticket to Work program, the trial work period, or the extended period of eligibility, you must report your earnings to the SSA. Failure to report your earnings can result in overpayments, which can be challenging to repay.

You can report your earnings by filling out a report of earnings form, which is available on the SSA’s website. You must report your earnings by the 10th day of the month following the month in which you earned the income.

Working With a Disability

Returning to work with a disability can be challenging, but it is possible. There are many resources available to help you find a job and accommodate your disability. The Ticket to Work program, for example, provides job training, job placement, and other services to help you succeed in the workplace.

In addition, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to employees with disabilities. These accommodations can include things like modified work schedules, assistive technology, and job restructuring. If you have a disability, you should not be discriminated against in the workplace and should be provided with the necessary accommodations to perform your job.

Call an Experienced Social Security Attorney

It’s important to note that returning to work may impact your eligibility for other benefits, such as Medicaid or Supplemental Security Income (SSI). If you have concerns about how returning to work may affect your benefits, it’s a good idea to speak with an experienced and knowledgeable Social Security attorney like those found at Drew L. Johnson, P.C. Attorneys At Law. We can answer all the questions you have about returning to work with a disability. Call today at (541) 434-6466.